[pedevel] Re: BEOS:FILE_TYPES

  • From: Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:24:36 +0200

On 2005-05-15 at 20:32:12 [+0200], Rainer Riedl wrote:
> > Rainer, I remember that you sent me a patch with a font-sensitive
> > FTP-Dialog, quite some time ago. I can't seem to remember the details,
> > do you?
>
> Yep, I still have it there in another directory and I even tried to
> update it with the recent changes in cvs.
>
> AFAIK did I implement it in a handmade fashion as I haven't seen a layout
> lib that does the layout the way I think it should be done. Also I think
> that havin yet another lib leads to some unnecessary overhead. Also pe
> hasn't such a extensive GUI that it get's too complicated. (Perhaps
> except of the prefs, but there the GUI is made out of lot's of simple
> pages.

Yes, that's what I thought, too: Pe's GUI isn't that complicated, so it
might be a good idea to avoid writing a new layout lib by simply doing the
stuff "by hand".
The problem I have with liblayout is precisely the fact that it's not
open-source, which gave me headaches several times since I started using it
in Beam. It gives you what it promises (most of the time), but I wouldn't
recommend any project to start using it now.

> Anyway, I don't know if it is necessary to replace the resources when it
> comes to localisation. I already did some designs using the resources for
> that purpose long time ago.

Well, it probably isn't necessary to drop resources for localization use,
but what I didn't tell you is that when I speak of localization, I mean the
OpenTracker LocaleKit (ahem..., which doesn't really exist yet).
Anyway, what I intended to say: I find having complete menu's living inside
resources not very useful in combination with a LocaleKit. That way there'd
have to be copies of the menu for each Language, or the code needs to
replace the embedded strings with translated versions (which defies the use
of resources completely).
As you probably have been able to read between the lines of my postings, I
do not consider Pe's specific use of resources very worthy. I mean, I can
see why there are icons (and maybe even UTF8-tables) in the resources, but
I can't see the point for all those Pe-specific types living there. I
always thought that the main use of resources is to be able to edit them as
user of an application. As far as I know, no editors exists for these
Pe-specific kinds of resources, and I doubt that there will ever be any.
So, for me there isn't any worth in having them there.
I suppose Maarten wasn't too convinced himself, taking into account that
the keywords of all language-addons get copied out into a textfile for
better editing. If resources would be so great, why did he do this? Then
again, maybe it's just that users bugged him enough such that he gave in
and gave them those textfiles... >:o)

> Perhaps you remember FontiSuite, that did localisation with 9 languages
> and GUI on the fly without restarting the app.

Hey, you forgot to insert that <shameless_plug>-tag up there >;oP

cheers,
        Oliver