[pdf4st] Re: layout possibilities (keep together, keep with next)

  • From: bobn@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "pdf4st@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pdf4st@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 05:51:28 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, those type of options are not hard to add. The calculation of whether or
not a layout section will fit on a page can easily be extended. There could be
a general layout option to 'fit on page' which would trigger a page fault if
the layout does not fit, but only if there is already content on the page (so
it would not apply to a new page).

And yes, keepWithNext, keepWithPrevious would also useful, although you could
get the same effect by just nesting two layout sections into one and marking it
as 'fit on page' (hmmm... that may even be a good way to implement the feature).

I'm happy to look into it, but I'll be away for a week, so nothing until the
end of August. If anyone is interested in updating the code, the attribute
would be added to R4PLayout and then used by a new R4PBuilder>>checkFitLayout
method, which would check if layouts having the 'fit on page' attribute set do
indeed fit on the current page.

Bob