Re: [PCWorks] Why is everything pasted into WordPad double-spaced?

  • From: David Grossman <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:31:53 +0200

Keep in mind that WordPad is a "poor man's Word." It has some of the
features of Word, but certainly not all of them.

Its main purpose is to allow you to read and respond to documents written in
the PREVIOUS version of Word. Just to make a liar out of me, it also
includes a few features from the current version. Another reason for its
existence is to tempt you to buy the full version.

Of course, that would be foolish. If you don't want to shell out big bucks
for Word, you can do much of what Word offers with Lotus Symphony, Open
Office, and many other freebie programs out there, as well as WordPerfect,
which is free for a limited time. MS Word itself has a 60-day free trial.

MS Works is another freebie program that is sort of Word compatible in its
own strange way. I don't know how you can get it except on new computers. If
you dislike WordPad, you'll hate MS Works.

Confession to Clint: When you were considering the option of taking over PC
Works from Marlene, I was considering the option of writing to you about the
name of the group. I didn't want it to be called PC Works, because of my
dislike for MS Works. I decided not to write to you at that time, but - sure
enough - the topic came up anyhow, years later!

Clint, why are you using WordPad?

David Grossman