-=pctechtalk freelists=- Re: locking up

  • From: "Jan Miller" <koryo1953@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:22:16 -0600

Round 2..

I went out there today & installed a new motherboard, cpu & memory in that
computer.  Decided to uninstall norton's & when it told me to shutdown &
restart, 2 illegel error messages came up.  So much for the new motherboard.

I mentioned earlier about the computer being connected to an ungrounded
outlet. I looked today at the whole setup, in the one recepticle they have
the frig plugged into it.  The other one has the surge strip, a cheap one,
with 3-4 things plugged into that plus they have another surge strip plugged
into the first surge strip with several more things plugged into that.  I
also noticed a small extension cord plugged into the first surge strip
coming from another room. Could this be the problem, they are overloading
the outlet??  I can't imagine having all that connected to one outlet. I
took their computer home & have had it running for 4-1/2 hours so far with
no problems. I changed the motherboard back to the one they had & did put a
different sound card in & upped the memory a bit. I also installed Norton's
Systemworks 2002, they had 2000 in there before & it seems to be running
smoothly. Knocking on wood....

Jan

2

field.