-=PCTechTalk=- email problems

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:56:53 -0800

I have been having nothing but problems with email since I left for
vacation.  I am now home and the problems remain for the most part.  These
problems range from unknown server errors to server timeouts to server
terminated the connection for any of several reasons.  These problems impact
not only SMTP but also POP.  Very frustrating.  Add to it the frustration of
trying to use the HP incarnation of Vista and I am about ready to chuck the
computers into the dumpster.  I've been home since Friday night and still
have not unpacked or setup anything computer related except to plug in this
laptop to login to Gmail and send a couple of messages to the group.
The email problems span across all email servers, Yahoo, Yahoo Plus, Gmail
and Roadrunner.  What is really frustrating is it is typically only ONE
email addy at each server at one time.  Example:  Don101 at RR, but not
dwilcox or dwilcox3.  don.32952 at gmail but not dsw32952

I came home to Larry having email problems with his larryfowler.com email
address.  At least that one was easy to solve... the server timed out trying
to deliver a 5.7MB email.  I deleted it at the webmail interface and his
account worked fine.

With my accounts I have tried closing OE, deleting the inbox and then
starting OE again to create a new inbox.dbx.  This did not work,  Coupled
witht the fact that other email accounts deliver OK to the inbox suggests
the problem is not a corrupt inbox.

I have disbaled all inbound and outbound scanning of email to avoid the time
delay for scanning larger emails to cause problems.

I have tried setting up separate identities in OE with different accounts in
each.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes I can login to webmail interfaces and delete all the spam and
other unnecesaary email and it will download OK.  Sometimes it doesn't.

I tried using Thunderbird.  A little help.  But it has other problems.
First the SMTP problem noted above and second, I am unable to configure the
feature that automatically saves attachments.  That is a MUST have ability
since there is no 3rd party utility available that I know of to extract the
attachments in bulk.

The most frustrating part of it all is that it affects only ONE email
account (the most heavily used) at each server.  If ALL accounts were
affected I would be more suspicious of Outlook Express.

Anybody got any ideas?  Using web based interface on a permanent basis is
not an option.

Don