-=PCTechTalk=- dial up connections

  • From: "Jo Ann Weaver" <hillfarm3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:54:18 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi,
Just wanted to tell any of you that are still on dial up connection like me,
of my experience. I've heard that what kind of phone lines you have and even
how close you are to the telephone company can affect your connection speed.
With a 56k internal modem I have always got a decent connection speed 49.333
to 50.600 through three different ISPs. On the other hand my son, with the
same kind of modem, in three different houses, never got over about 32-33.
This summer I picked up two external modems at garage sales just because
they were so cheap, I couldn't resist them as spares. My son needed one
before Christmas and I gave him one of the externals. Immediately his speed
jumped to 49.333 with one of the modems. Tried the other one out of
curiosity, got 50.600. So if you have a slow connection, I certainly think
it would be worth it to try an external modem (especially if you can get one
for three dollars like I did <grin> )
Jo Ann