-=PCTechTalk=- W2K startup problem

  • From: "John N." <foxrivrat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:18:31 -0600

Hello to all!

I am new here, but not being very shy I have a question.

 There is a dialog box on the desktop at startup stating
that "Windows is completing installation of the sound card" (or something
close to
that), and this following string:

 DevconDefaultDB Registry\Common\Run C:\WINNT\READREG /PSCONV=
{NO} /NO_DEFPS

 The box disappears quickly, so I hope this is right. This has been going on
a couple of weeks, I updated the card several months ago.

 The above is listed in Autostart Programs, and in registry here:

 I think DevCon refers to CTDEVCON.DLL , which has much scripting in
it, some of which deals with that .exe.
 ReadReg is a program READREG.EXE . Both are associated with my
Creative Sound Blaster Live card.
 Anyone have a clue as to why this box is coming up, and what to do
about it? All in the program for the card is uninstalled but the win2k
drivers (made no difference).

Thanks!

 john

ps - I have always used WinMX, but I think I'll try Kazaa Lite now. Nothing
wrong with WinMX, but 2 is better than 1 :-)