-=PCTechTalk=- Vista network setup

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:15:53 -0400

Premium.  I am trying to connect to our home network.  I view available
networks and find mine and click connect.  It then asks for the "Security key
or passphrase".  I type in the WPA passkey (Unusual:only have to type it in
once, normally requires confirmation) and it says it cannot connect.
I double check the passkey (remembering my problem from the other day) and I
have done it correctly.

I then check to make sure the wireless adapter is turned on and it is.  I use
HP Wireless Assistant and click SETUP.   The network assistant reports
internet connection not available, router connection unknown (how did it find
my network earlier?),  wireless security disabled, and wireless connection not
active.

I never had this complicated mess on his XP laptop.  I simply clicked, input
the passkey and I was done.

So, now I am running the steps to setup a network.  I connect the laptop to the
router via cat5 and proceed.  It verifies internet connection but it was unable
to detect a supported router (Linksys WRT54G v8).

I am hesitant to reset the router because that would disrupt use of the
existing laptop while I try to get the new one setup.

So now what?

Don