-=PCTechTalk=- The horse is dead

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:43:49 -0400

Eddie,

We (Gman and I) looked into this early in the thread.  I've had to enter
setup on several occasions and reset the hard drive boot priority.
Sometimes setup did not even see both of the hard drives and I had to
reboot, reenter setup and try again.  This led us to believe the problem
was either a bad data cable and/or a bad power cable.  Inspection found
a bad data cable.  That was replaced.  Later I discovered the problem
still existed.  This weekend I will be doing a lot of rearranging and
reinstalling and will do a more thorough inspection of everything.

Might I suggest a browse through the thread from the beginning.  That
might save you (and me) some time.

Don

EddieB wrote:
> I'll check this out in more detail tomorrow, but I am interested in problem
> #2.  That sounds like a BIOS error before it even tries to boot any OS.  If
> that is correct then you can usually fix that by going into the BIOS and
> choosing one of the options for restoring to defaults (there is often more
> than one like factory/best performance/best stability).  Of course, if you
> have any special BIOS settings that are needed, then you will need to make
> those changes again afterwards.  Some people say to write down all the
> settings before you restore defaults, which is safest, but that is a lot of
> writing.  If you are going to write down all the BIOS settings beforehand,
> then you might as well check for BIOS update for your motherboard since that
> procedure usually does reset to defaults also.  Make sure you read all info
> about updating the BIOS first, since doing it wrong could make the
> motherboard unbootable, although I have never had that problem with all the
> ones I've done in the last 20 years or so.  Also, if possible I would
> recommend putting the PC on a UPS (battery backup) since losing power in the
> middle of the update is the most common reason why BIOS updates fail (and
> become upbootable).  I personally won't install a BIOS update if it was
> released in the last few months because it could have a bad bug that hasn't
> been found and/or fixed yet.
>
> I wouldn't even bother troubleshooting the XP problem until after
> eliminating the BIOS, since a BIOS problem could explain all your problems.
> Unfortunately a hardware problem could also.  Hardware problems can do
> strange things especially when Windows tries to load drivers for it.  I've
> seen bad HD's causing a PC to not even turn on and a PC not able to boot
> because the mouse button was stuck down (stuck under the monitor actually).
>

> Ed

in the Subject.