-=PCTechTalk=- Strange filenames....

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:52:45 -0500

I have a Dimension 8300 3.0MHz P-4 Dell running XP Home SP2.  I use the OEM
Sonic software to write, erase and rewrite CDs and DVDs.

I recently copied 4 different folders of pictures to 4 different DVD+RW disks.
Each folder contained files and sub-folders totaling about 2 to 3 GB.

During the copying process Sonic reported some files were unable to be copied
because they had an invalid character in the file name.  That character was a
semi-colon (;).  5 of the seven files so identified also had the letters  c h o
 as the first three characters in the filename.

After the copy was complete I searched the folders on the hard drive for files
with a semi colon and the search returned thousands of files before I stopped
it.  A search for files that started with cho was negative.

I am not too concerned about the files not copying.  With over 100,000
pictures, 7 lost ones are irrelevant.  I *am*, however, curious about what
happened?  Where did the files come from?  Where did they go to?  Why did Sonic
see them but Windows Search did not?  Is this just an anomaly to be expected
when copying over 2GB of files?

I tried a Google search using keywords +Sonic +filename +cho +dvd and got no
help at all.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Don

Do YOU want a gmail account invitation?  Include your email address in the body
of a private message to dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx