-=PCTechTalk=- Strange errors with Juno/Explorer/IE

  • From: bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:53:42 EST

Hello again, I'm sure some of you may remember me from a previous
stint in this list...

Just within the last few weeks I've been experiencing particular
errors (invalid page faults, illegal operations) when I close out
of all windows, esp. if my ISP client, Juno v4.0 build 11, and any
of explorer (file mgr), explorer-dependent things such as control
panel, and Internet Explorer (v6 SP1).

Usually, there are two errors in succession: Explorer caused IPFs in
kernel32.dll at either 0167:bff9dba7 or 0167:bff9d709, followed by
one at 0167:bff7b2e5.

This machine has multiple user settings, which vary according to
screen resolution, wallpaper and placement of icons.  My family
prefer a blue-sky b/g and 800*600 res, where I use a picture and
1024*768.

My hunch is that this is a video card problem: this machine has an
ATI (right?) 3D RAGE LT PRO, which AFAIK is no longer made, at least
for desktops like this'un.  Any clues as to where I can, for
instance, find updated drivers, or other ways to alleviate these
errors?

Thanks.

--
BOB dot in dot jersey at Juno dot com