-=PCTechTalk=- Sandy's Stupid External :-)) And maybe a 2nd one too.

  • From: "Sandy" <sandy.rick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PcTechTalk" <PcTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:50:50 -0400

Well when i had a free  minute here and there I took it upon myself to try a
couple of things, plus have a cpl questions.
1) i switched the usb cable from the external with the one from the enclosure
on the one we used to put in drives from ole pc.

2) tried to run scan and after a few hrs of no progress and still unable to
close out with the X, just rebooted.

3) while Rick was still home I opened up the case of the external and i
couldn't tell you if something was loose or not as it was extremely compact and
tight in there.  I don't know how the cable was even able to fit........was
definitely a tight fit.  we just closed it back up, but
Rick said if we need to he can try to take it out of it's house and put it in
the other house, lol.

4) i'm sure i got everthing off the old 20gig from my old pc, so I just left it
in the enclosure and hooked that baby up to my computer and decided I'd just
make it into an external..............ok.......I formatted, got the error about
losing everything, clicked "yeah i know that" and let it go on and in maybe 2
minutes flat it was done...........hmmm.........showed up just fine in windows
explorer..............so i decided I'd put my collection of fonts on it and
they still show up ok, but I guess maybe there was a step i may have missed
because it had been a C drive because when I reboot with it still on I get the
errors "attempting boot from USB Device,  NTLDR is missing, press ctrl & alt &
delete to restart"  Well ctrl/alt/delete does nothing, so I have to wait till
it's ok to turn off the 20gig, then i have to hit the reset button on pc to
turn off then back on.

Hopefully I didn't make a mess of trying to format my old C
drive...yikes..............I just can't leave well enough alone.

So now I have 2 externals that aren't playing fair with my pc.

And I guess I have some kind of autoplay on this pc, because when I turn on my
20gig, you can see all the fonts loading up on the desktop.  I wonder if there
is a way for that not to do that.  Boy if I had the 120 gig full of stuff and
it had to load up everytime it's turned on
it would be a pain.  When I was hooking up the drives to transfer info to new
pc I saw everything load up............it was extremely quick, but kinda
freaked me out, lol.  I don't know if there is something I really NEED this
autoplay for.  It doesn't have anything to do with music CDs automatically
playing when put in right?

Another thing I had noticed on the 120 gig external and forgot to mention
before was when I click on the icon to see if it's ok to turn it off, a window
comes up with the following info:

Safely Remove Hardware Window:

USB Mass Storage Device
WDCWD12 00JB-OOFUAOUSB Device
Generic Volume - G

Then you click "stop" and:

The "stop a hardware device" window shows as:   This is what I see:

USB Mass Storage Device
WDCWD12 00JB-OOFUAO USB Device
Generic Volume (G:)

It's like there's 3 things to choose from to click on and I don't know which to
click on, but have been clicking on the WDC(bla bla bla)one.
Hope that's right.

Sandy