-=PCTechTalk=- Response time

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:08:51 -0400

Some monitors have response times as low as 2 ms.  Most I have looked at are 5
ms or 8 ms.
I know that when watching fast action (NASCAR) on a monitor or television that
response time needs to be fast or the action will be a little (or a lot)
blurred.

An HDTV used as a monitor on a computer where nothing much faster Spider
Solitaire is viewed.  If said HDTV had a response time of 16 ms how seriously
would that slow response time impact its use as a monitor?

When used as a TV where nothing faster than Live with Regis and Kelly is
watched how seriously would that slow response time impact the viewing
experience?

For a reference point, what sort of response time might be common on an old
fashioned CRT analog TV or older CRT HDTV?  Ditto on an older model flat panel
monitor or a new fangled widescreen laptop display?

Don