-=PCTechTalk=- Re: resetting newsgroups

  • From: "Dolores" <inquisitive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:47:18 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 5:27 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: resetting newsgroups

On 20 Aug 2004 at 12:04, Dolores wrote:
> another lost info (need to get more organized!) - on newsgroups where
> they keep the messages for long periods of time, there is a way if you
> have downloaded say 200, didn't get to read them before they
> accidentally got deleted - to be able to go back and reset those so
> that the 200 messages will appear available for downloading <snip>
> Dolores

on Aug 21 Faustus wrote (I hope I did that right and will have to remember
for the future)

Hi,

I understand what you're trying to do, but have never done it myself.
Someone else might be able to provide an answer if you name the
program you're using to view newsgroups.

Remember that Google have most newsgroups archived, so if you just
want to catch up on some messages, you can visit the archives at:

http://www.groups.google.com

That's what I do when I miss important messages. You can view
messages in their original text-based format and save them to disk in
your browser.

Faustus

sorry it's taking this long to respond but right after I sent both those
e-mails my desktop  becqme possessed and basically crashed.  I tried to
reformat for the very first time and am not doing well at all :-(  Anyhow
have a laptop that I'm using and it takes forever for my mail to download
from unlimited mail so just getting this - I use Outlook Express to view the
newsgroups.  I didn't know about the Google site so might be able to get
want from there - this is a newsgroup that is I guess privately owned by
someone in Belgium if I remember correctly and he stores the messages from
alt.binary. flood fonts (or something like that as don't have the name
handy) and I access him through Outlook Express also.  Dolores