-=PCTechTalk=- Re: resetting newsgroups

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:27:00 +0100

On 20 Aug 2004 at 18:57, cristy wrote:
> I have thought about joining some newsgroups.  Can anyone tell me how
> or where to go to do this.  Are there any decent ones to join, say
> like for family tree research or whatever you may have an interest in.
>
> Thanks,
> christy

Hi,

There are thousands of newsgroups, varying wildly in quality. I love
groups, but there are a few things every newbie should know. Although
you find some moderated groups, bear in mind that most are
uncensored, and you _will_ find offensive material in the most
unusual places, especially if you subscribe to some binary groups.
Also, be careful of publishing your e-mail address when posting to a
group, as you will get spammed to death afterwards. Generally though,
newsgroups are a great source of information.

You can use Outlook Express to view newsgroups, but it's frowned on
in many communities...better to use a program like Forte Agent...free
version available at:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

There are many other programs...Keyboard Cowboy has recommended a few
in the past.

There are several different genealogy groups under 'soc.genealogy'.
Happy hunting.

Also, below is a very helpful FAQ page for newsgroup users:

http://www.plig.net/nnq/nnqlinks.html

Faustus