-=PCTechTalk=- Re: reformating hard drive

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:36:20 -0800

Hi Tempting,
you can open NAV and click on Live Update.

I have my computer set up to prompt for all down loads.
Then I specify where to save the download.
Once it is down loaded I scan it with AV then click on Run.

From my web page<G>
Symantec Nortons AntiVirus
Last updated Feb 09/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html
select your language -> product from the list
Or
Open Nortons software and click the "live update" button
Or From the Nortons folder in your Start Menu select LiveUpdate -
Norton Antivirus
~~~~~

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 2/12/2005 at 11:35 AM Tempting2Taanzaa wrote:

I often wondered about updating.  I use Norton AV and wondered if there was
a way to manually download AV definitions to a hard copy if you were say
planning on reformatting your drive?  I know it can be down with Windows
updates but, wondered about with say the AV sites, Adaware definitions etc.
 Anyone know?
---

From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: reformating hard drive.
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:12:25 -0500

I would be very surprised to learn that an AV site had infected files
available for download, so I suspect your infection came through from a
different site while you were downloading the updates.  I suspect that may
have happened because the firewall was configured to either allow the site
access to your computer or leave a port open.  It is also possible
something
else on your computer was already infected and it called for the download
of
the virus.

When downloading files to do a clean install it is always a good idea to
either use a clean updated computer to collect the downloads and updates or
at least use a clean updated computer to scan them  before you install on
the clean hard drive.

Don