-=PCTechTalk=- Re: reformat after klez virus

  • From: "Jan" <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:02:52 -0400

Thanks, Ron, we completely gave up on retrieving her files.  I couldn't
access anything on her hard drive when I had it hooked up to mine.  She
decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to keep trying.  I never could
get her hard drive fixed.  No matter how many times I f-disked and
re-formatted, I couldn't get Windows re-installed on it.  I finally
installed a new hard drive, but then couldn't get her modem to work and her
display adapter is not right, either.  I think she must have had a power
spike or something that fried her hard drive and modem, along with the virus
problem.  The drivers available on the Windows CD didn't work so, I
downloaded
new drivers for the modem and display adapter last night (they were hard to
find)
and will work on it some more this weekend.
Wish me luck!

Jan
----------------------------

Hi Jan!

Sorry, forgot to put the subject line in my previous post.  In recovery from
a non-bootable hrd drv that you suspect was infected by a virus most often
what you recover are data files not programs.  Generally viruses can't be
executed through data files (that may change someday).  However, if your not
sure that files you recovered may have included infected files to the
working drive or removable drive just run your updated anti-virus program on
them once recovered.  That should ensure that they are virus free.

On the other part did you try uninstalling the device listings in device
manager and letting Windows refind the devices on reboot?  If not you will
have to get updated drivers for the specific brand and model device.

Apparently, Windows installed generic display drivers as it did not find the
proper drivers for your display device or controller.

Hope this helps,

ronslanding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: "Jan" <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>