-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk Digest V3 #43 -much too BIG!!

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:54:58 -0600

Hi Ted
Let me tell you of my recent tale of woe with the little woman's 400 MHz and
20 Gig HD, old MB.

I went to load NAV systemworks premier 2005 on her machine and got over 20
read write errors in the loading process. It goofed her machine up pretty
well. So I decide to wipe her HD clean and redo it. I have an OLD western
digital lifeguard disk that writes zeros to the HD. Put it in the floppy
drive and the floppy dive wasn't working.

To cut a long story short, I exchange her floppy drive with mine, which
worked, and would not work in her machine. I spent three days, off and on,
checking her connections, cables, swapping drives, etc. Finally put her
floppy in my machine, 1800 AMD 120 Gig HD, and it worked fine.

So I took her HD out and put it in my machine and wiped it clean, installed
98SE on it and put it back into her machine. Well her floppy and CD-ROM
drive worked, but had trouble with the OS working just right.

I figured that my machine loaded something on there that my MB could handle
and needed but her old MB didn't quite like or know what to do with. In any
event, her floppy was working so I wrote zero's to her HD again and did the
98SE install again. Everything seems to be working fine now. She hasn't got
around to reinstalling all her apps yet. So we will see.

Nevertheless, we have decide to apply the IRS refund (hopeful) to a new
puter for her. Will use her present machine as an add on in our network and
probably load something on it for school studies. I am taking a security
class this semester.

In Summary, maybe you might want to reconsider your position on keeping the
old machine, as that is probable the real culprit in your slowness.

Just my Dollar Two Ninety Eight.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you