-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic,mutual fund questions

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 19:53:24 -0500

Cristy,
    Using email, I don't have the means to pour over your investments to
help you determine the answers you're seeking here.  However, I'm a little
confused myself as to why you have both a financial advisor AND a portfolio
guide service.  Since you initially asked about mutual funds, you ALSO have
the already paid-for services of the mutual fund's managers, which is a
group of advisors who's job security depends on how well they can predict
the market and make money for you.

    If you really think about it, the only folks who's own financial future
is truly linked with yours is with the mutual fund management team.  They
also have more insider insight into what's going on behind the scenes before
they make changes to their portfolio.  You can pull out of the agreements if
you're not happy with the performance/advice you get from your advisor &/or
the portfolio guide service, but that doesn't threaten their business.
They'll still have plenty of other clients and they'll lose very little.
However, it's VERY much in a mutual fund manager's favor to always stay on
top of everything in their area of expertise in order to keep their job.  If
they fail the fund, they're fired and lose everything.  For this reason, the
safest bet is always going to be on a well managed mutual fund.  Just keep i
mind that there are different types of funds with some focusing primarily on
stocks and quick turnarounds, others that divest between stocks and bonds
(both tend to move in different directions depending on the overall
finanical climate), some that focus on divident producing investments, some
that focus more on overseas opportunities, etc..  To that end, not all funds
are right for all investors, so be sure you're comfortable with the type of
fund approach that you're money is going to.  Also, compare different funds
of the type you wish to use to make sure the one(s) you use have been well
managed over a long period of time.  Some will obviously have better
performance than others.

    Having said that, several other thoughts still come into play here.
Some are universal and some apply specifically to your situation.

    Universally, those who are in control of the overall financial picture
of the world have made some mighty huge long-term errors (it can be traced
back at least to the US government's establishment of the Federal Reserve
Bank, but I'll argue that it goes back quite a bit further than that) and
brought about the present worldwide financial crisis.  As a result, even
large businesses are losing tons of money.  Some have already gone under and
some others won't be around much longer.  It's during times like these that
we'll see more and more consolidation as some better off businesses will do
all they can to buy up their not-so-financially-healthy competition.  As
competition lessens, prices go up and that just makes things worse for
regular folks like you and me.  As folks like us have less to spend, we buy
less and that affects ALL businesses, but especially those who specialize in
non-essential services such as home improvement contractors (heat is more
important than home improvement), restarants (folks eat at home more often),
entertainment (who has money for going to the movies of theater these
days?), etc..  Since small businesses are the true economy movers (much more
overall money trades hands through small businesses than through large
corporations), THIS situation is what's going to force the various world
governments' hands more than anything into forcing the money controllers to
turn things around again.  If many more of our small businesses go under due
to lack of customers, some countries (including the US) could collapse in on
themselves and we'll all lose much more than our money.  I appologize if any
of this is making you more nervous that you already were.

My apologies to anyone following this thread who is not a US citizen, but
I'm going to focus specifically on the US for the next couple of paragraphs.

    As I see it, the US government is WAY too big, spends WAY too much on
nearly worthless endeavors where they don't belong in the first place and
they don't even have any of their OWN money (they don't produce anything, so
how can they earn money?).  It's the taxpayer's money that they're spending
on so many things we, the people, simply don't need.  They need to start
spending our money on things that will create new jobs and put those in need
back to work.  Individual states try to brag about how they were able to
create 12,000 new jobs last year, but they fail to mention that 130,000 old
jobs were 'repositioned' overseas.  Of course, that's great news for the
other countries that received the jobs, but the losses here are a rather
significant part of what's hurting our economy, and that's on top of the
already straining financial market caused by the gov't printing too much
money to fund their various wars and skirmishes around the world in the name
of "democracy".

    The reason why I bring all of this up is not to frighten you.  It's to
try and explain that there's a lot more to the financial health of your
portfolio than just how well some guy picks out stocks, bonds, etc..  Until
the world's government leadership makes most of the changes needed to turn
things around (here in the US that responsibility falls on Congress, not the
president), our collective portfolios will not be able to fully rebound from
the damage already caused by so many dumb laws, ignorant (but usually
intentional) loopholes and money wasted on things that aren't in the best
interest of the people providing that money.  So far, Obama appears to be
doing all he can to lead the charge towards turning things around, but he's
going to need a lot more firepower than just his presidency to get things
done in a hurry.  He's not the one with any real power to make changes to
the laws that have allowed lenders to pillage us for years.  Again, that
responsibility falls to the lawmakers and they are not hearing enough
warnings from the people who pay their salaries and elect them into
positions within the Senate and House of Representatives.  In fact, most
folks seem to think that the responsibility falls on the presiding
president.  Since they tend to take their frustrations out on the president,
Congress doesn't even get to hear them.  If everyone would direct their
displeasure at their own representatives in Congress, we'd see a LOT more
things 'fixed' in a really short amount of time.  It would also give Obama
plenty of fuel & momentum to really push them into taking things off the
books that have been hurting the country (such as the laws that currently
allow credit card issuers to continue gouging us with ridiculous rates, fees
and penalties for the next 17 months or so).  If you want to help the
country get back on track, research the issues and get in touch with the
folks who make the laws we all have to follow.  It's the only way to make
sure the laws actually work FOR us instead of AGAINST us.  If we don't do it
ourselves, the only voices the lawmakers will continue to hear are those of
the lobbyists, and they only care about the folks who hired them.

Ok, that should be enough of the world/US news to give you a wider view of
why things aren't going so well right now.  So let's talk about your own
situation some more.

    If your personal financial advisor has never given you any reason to
doubt his/her advice (never intentionally stung you), I would suggest
spending a little time with that person discussing your options.  In order
to sell that kind of service, they must pass a relatively long test to show
that they understand each of the options available to their customers.
While it's definitely not the same thing as going to law school for 4 years,
it still ensures that they are up to date on what's available to their
clients and that's more than I can say for myself, having been out of that
business for nearly 20 years (things change every year).  I tend to agree
with the advice to stay away from portfilio guide services unless you plan
to use them as your primary financial advisor.  You don't need two of them
unless you're rich and want to split up your investments among several
services.  But if you're rich, you'd hire one to only work for YOU and
forget all of that.  Unlike a service, his/her job would then depend on
their ability to keep your money growing.      lol

    Take along a small tape recorder and ask them for permission to tape the
session before you begin.  That way, you'll be able to relisten to the
conversation, research any items or topics that need to be clarified, look
up and compare specific investment ideas they mention and finally make an
informed choice about how you'll weather out the remainder of this financial
storm.  It's great to have faith in someone else making educated suggestions
(like you have with me), but nothing beats knowing what's going on when it
comes to that kind of a relationship.  I know this appears to be the
opposite of what I said yesterday, but the difference is that you're putting
your faith in a single person who doesn't need to perform at peak
performance in order to stay in business as opposed to a more diversified
fund management team who MUST get the best returns on the investment money
they handle.  Of course, if they're investing your money in mutual funds,
you're hopefully getting the best of both worlds.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.bornagainamerican.org