-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic,mutual fund questions

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 04:23:34 -0800

A quick summary of my OPINION on this question:

IF you are at least 3 to 5 years away before you will begin making
withdrawals from your retirement accounts continue to invest if you will
still be able to sleep at night.

IF current gyrations are driving you nuts, then either stop investing but
stay invested or shift new investments to a less volatile and maybe shift
current investments from volatile funds to more stable funds... such as from
an aggressive growth fund to an S&P 500 Index fund.

If you are in a panic mode, liquidate your most volatile funds into a money
market account or a good mid-term or short-term bond fund... Vanguard's
Total Bond (VBMFX is the ticker).  Keep at least 10 to 30% in a stable broad
index fund.

Want a very simple easy to manage portfolio?  Try this:

Vanguard Total Bond Index Fund
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund or S&P 500 Index fund
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund

Percentage of portfolio in each fund would be determined by the various
factors previously discussed.  My OPINION is that at least 10 to 30% should
be in stocks and no more than 10% in the money market fund (more if you do
not have a separate emergency account to last 3 to 6 months of living
expenses).  Bonds should get at least 20 to 30% of the portfolio if you are
over 50.

Remember:

Do your homework!
Buy low.  Sell high.
Warren Buffet sees the current market as a powerful opportunity to BUY.  He
is probably the richest and most successful investor in the history of
capitalism.

Google these:

Warren Buffet
Berkshire-Hathaway