-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic, remodeling project/home

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:44:54 -0400

Cristy,
    I take it the walls are tiled from the floor up to a certain height?  As
a general rule, tile (or other coverings) is the last thing to go up on the
walls &/or floor on any remodel.  It's much easier for you to paint before
the tiles and grout are in place.  Tubs should be taken care of beforehand
for the same reasons as I gave for the cabinet.  The tiles will be cut into,
and overlap the edges of, whatever is there and it will be impossible to
remove the old one without causing damage to the new tiles.

    Most tubs are of a standard size, but that doesn't mean you can't play
with it some.  For instance, you could replace the tub with a walk in shower
stall of the same size.  The only thing there is that it will be tiled floor
to ceiling (more tiles) and the drain will need to be moved towards the
middle of the shower floor area.  You could have a sitting bench built into
end opposite of the shower head to make things easier for her as mom gets
older (or just for lazy folks like me     lol).  Shelves can be built right
into the walls and at any location.  The sky's the limit (along with your
budget) when you're redoing more than just the walls & floor coverings.