-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ntuser.dat

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 22:46:14 -0500

Those files have nothing to do with GOM Player.  GOM probably associated
.dat files with itself, so Explorer will tell you they are GOM files, but
ntuser.dat is not.  Ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log are files that are hard to
backup because Windows has those files OPEN and in use whenever you are
logged in.  If you log off George and log into Administrator, then the
C:\Documents and Settings\George\ntuser.dat would be able to get backed up,
but C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat would be in use by
Windows.

There are a few backup programs that somehow are able to backup those files,
but most can't.  Its my understanding that those files keep the users
"personalized settings", so it's a nice file to have backed up, but not
critical.  You didn't mention what backup software you are using, so I can't
search for a workaround.

Ed