-=PCTechTalk=- Re: how? laptop settings to print

  • From: "Cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:17:19 -0500

see below:
----- Original Message -----
From: ~OoO~
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 1:37 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: how? laptop settings to print

802.11g. We're assuming the laptop is using 802.11g, since you did say it is
connecting to the router. That's what the Linksys does, and that's what you
need the laptop to do (it could actually be 802.11b as well, which is much
slower). Actually, you say its showing as connected with a very good signal
strength. But, we want to make sure that you are indeed connecting to your own
network as opposed to a neighbor's network. Normally, you look for the SSID on
the linksys and the SSID on the wireless card on your laptop.

On the laptop, when you go click on that wireless connection on the bottom
right, it should bring up a window, which I believe you verified as coming up.
Somewhere in there you should be able to click something to see the properties
of that connection. I don't use wireless so I cannot walk you through exactly
on this one, but I know that you can highlight the connection and click
somewhere to view the properties. In those properties, you will see the SSID
and channel it is connecting to. I'm not too concerned about the channel, but
we want the SSID if you can find that. If not, we will assume you are on the
right network. Although, I hate to assume.

WINDOW- properties:
ok - unkder wireless networks properties, I click on linsksys and properties.
I get a box - association tab - says network name (SSID): it has linksys there,
but it is gray'd out.
network authentication is open
data encryption is disabled.
interestting - if I look at choose a wireless network, it says linksys -
connected, unsecured wireless network.
under that is amy - secured, and default, unsecured.
wondering if amy is my neighbor... we used to pick up pete's system, but never
amy's.

Regarding the other little screen with the red X that says LOCAL AREA CONNECT -
A NETWORK CABLE IS UNPLUGGED. you can ignore it. This should be your wired
Ethernet port on your system.

You say you get the password screen when you go to http://192.168.1.1
<http://192.168.1.1/> . That's good, cause it says you can access the router.
Now, you need to go into the settings. By default, the linksys password I
believe is "admin" without the quotes. Leave the login name blank, and type in
admin for the pass. If that doesn't work, type in "admin" for both the login
and the pass. Someone else with a Linksys should be able to verify what the
default it.

ADMIN WORKED

Whatever it is, change that default. Never keep the default pass. Just as you
can get on, someone on the outside can get in, use the default pass, and then
change the pass on you.

Anyways. if you get into the router, look somewhere in there at one of the
settings tab. I don't have a Linksys, so I am going off the top of my head
here. But, it may be a tab called SETTINGS or STATUS or ADMIN. Point is, you
are looking for a setting called SSID. When you find it, tell me what it is,
and is it the same as the SSID the laptop is connecting to.

under wireless, it says
wireless network name (SSID) linksys
 wireless SSID broadcast: enable or disable - it says enable.
Router says - router name SVEASOFT -
this is all on the laptop -

Are we gaining on it? or am I a hopeless cause!! <grin>

Cris

---Troth

From: ~OoO~