-=PCTechTalk=- Re: how? laptop settings to print

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:21:25 -0500

Basically, you need to share the printer, and then on the laptop you add a
network printer.

You said your son already does this with the other computers. So, the printer
is probably shared already. How do you know for sure? On the computer where the
printer is installed, open up the PRINTERS AND FAXES screen (START > PRINTERS
AND FAXES) and you should see the printer icon with a little hand that looks
like its holding it. That means the printer is shared. If not, right-click on
that printer and select SHARING. Then, fill in the blanks on that screen.

Once the printer is shared, you go to the laptop and go to that same screen,
PRINTERS AND FAXES. You hit ADD A PRINTER on the left side. The wizard will
begin. Click NEXT. Select a NETWORK PRINTER and hit NEXT. Select BROWSE FOR A
PRINTER and NEXT. You should now see a listing of every computer on the
network. The name you see is the name assigned to the computer (which can be
seen by doing START > right-click on MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > COMPUTER NAME
tab). Near the computer name where the printer is installed you should see a
plus sign (+). Double-click the plus sign to see a drop-down of the printers
installed on that printer. If set up correctly, you should see the printer
name. Select it and hit NEXT. It'll ask if you want to make it a default. If
this is the only printer on the laptop, say YES. Hit NEXT or APPLY or OK,
whatever the choice is. And, that's it. Should now print.

---Troth