-=PCTechTalk=- Re: high speed internet

  • From: David Chun <dtwchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:04:59 -0400

Don,
Don't usually have much to contribute; but since I use Verizon broadband
I thought I would present my experience.  When I signed up, I noticed
the 5 GB restriction also.  I was told by the store representative that
what would happen after the 5 GB was used that I would simply be cut off
until the next month, when the next months subscription would pick up
again.  However, I noticed that I was never cut off.  Also, speed is
variable!  When you get the Verizon broadband you really get broadband
and Verizon's National Access (good for trips since Verizon broadband is
not available throughout the US; National Access is like using your cell
phone as a modem, but the speed is much better than that or dial-up).
The National Access comes on when broadband is not available or for some
reason slow (from heavy usage).  Prior to subscribing, I checked the web
information and while in the Verizon store, the sales representative did
a more detailed check, checked that broadband was now available where I
lived -- actually while broadband was suppose to be in my area, I just
happened to be on the boarder where it was and wasn't availalbe (though
National Access was).  Obviously I went this route because DSL was not
available to me by Bell South (now AT&T), since Verizon's broadband
subscription was $59/month and added to my celllular phone subscription,
bringing the total just over about $120/month!  I rarely get Natinal
Access; but even the National Access speed was better than dial-up.
Last year or earlier this year, the broadband PC card died (overheated I
think because it was operating at speeds that it wasn't designed for)
and I paid full price for the newer one (rather than commit to another 2
year contract ) -- I think it was over $300.  I've had burst download
speeds as high as 2500+ kps.  However, more usually less than 1,000
during good down load times oof the day.  I noticed a long time ago my
bill said unlimited megabyte downloads (no mention of a 5 gigabyte
limit) and since I got the Verizon braodband service, I've spent a huge
fortune downloading iTune songs/tv shows/movies/audio/etc! So looking at
the Verizon Manager (comes with the broadband card), that I've exceeded
5 gigabytes frequently.  But I did notice that recently for about a
couple of months or so that the broadband speed had rarely exceeded 500
kps no matter what time of day it was (I suspect some problem on
Verizon's side).  But just a week ago, my broadband high speed has
returned and instead of spending days downloading a season's worth of a
TV show, that I can now download it within a day or two!

But while I'm happy again with the Verizon broadband, I am even happier
to notice a lot of work being done by AT&T in my neighborhood around the
telephone posts (what ever that thing sticking out of the groun is).  I
even asked a person in one of the trucks and he said that DSL will be
coming soon -- so maybe the promises of the AT&T customer support are
finallly coming true.  Will switch to AT&T DSL because the most costly
DSL subscription for the fastest download speed  is lower than the
Verizon Broadband -- I think the best Verizon broadband speed is
equivalent to the lowest AT&T DSL subscription.  While we haven't had
any actual announcement that DSL is coming (except for when I call
customer support and get a vague 'DSL by the end of the year/beginning
of the year') my neighbor and I are really getting excited that it may
actuallly be coming -- maybe even AT&T cable service!

David

--
David T.W. Chun, Ph.D.
Microbiologist

USDA, ARS                                      864 656-2488 ext. 227
Cotton Quality Research Station          FAX 864 656-1311
P.O. Box 792
Clemson, SC 29633                dtwchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                       mailto:  David.Chun@xxxxxxxxxxxx