-=PCTechTalk=- Re: gman, dial up/cable question signin window

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:13:30 -0400

Hey Christine,
    I used to have Earthlink as my ISP and I also hated all of that
TotalAccess junk.  The way around it is simple, as long as you already know
the number it dialed to get online.  If you don't already know that number,
it's a simple matter of using Earthlink's site to look up the one (or more)
for your area.  Just look to the bottom left side of the following page for
a place where you can enter you phone number and have the site tell you what
numbers are local for you.

http://support.earthlink.net/

    I will add for anyone else following along that this works for nearly
ANY Dial-up ISP, as long as you collect the local dial-up numbers from them
before you start.  I'll also suggest that you make sure it's not a long
distance number you're about to use.  The internet service might be a single
fee, but a long distance number used to call into it will also rack up your
phone bill separately.

    Once armed with the number(s), go to Control Panel > Internet Options >
Connections tab and focus on the "Dial-Up" section of the Property sheet
(the actual 'official' name of these types of options windows).  If there
are any entries already showing, decide whether any of them are still
active.  If not, select them one by one and click on the Remove button to
expel them from your system.  Do NOT remove any that are used to connect to
your work network or VPN that is still operational (if either exists).

    Now, click on the 'Add' button and select the radio button (the rather
small 'dot') next to the line "Dial-up to private network" and click Next.
Enter the phone number (follow the instructions given to test whether the
number needs the 1-area code- part) and click Next.  Give the connection a
memorable name such as "Earthlink Dial-up" and click on the Finish button.

    This should bring up the Connection Settings property sheet.  Fill out
the areas for User name and Password and then click on the Properties
button.  Go through each tab and set the options as you like.  If you run
into any questions, ask about them here.  When you're finished with that,
click OK to close that group.  Click OK again to return to the main
Connections tab.

    Finally, click on the radio button next to the line that reads "Dial
whenever a network connection is not present".  This will tell IE to make
the connection whenever you open up an IE browser window.  The only thing
left to do is to open up an IE window and see if it works as advertised.
;O)

    Provided it works right, click on the link below to take you to
Earthlink's personalized 'Home' page.  If this is what you had set up
before, just go to Tools > Internet Options (yes, it's the same place where
you set up the dial-up connection) and click on the 'Use Current' button to
set it as IE's default Home Page.  If Earthlink's 'Home Page' is NOT what
you were using before, type in the correct address (http://www.etc) and
press enter to take yourself there.  Once there, follow the directions above
to set it as your default home page.

    With the above directions, there's no need to use System Restore or
anything else that might mess up other parts of your setup.

    To change which email addy is the default, I would need to know what
email app you use.  Unless you're talking about your membership with PCTT.
Feel me more info and we'll get it working the way you want/need.

Peace,
GMan