-=PCTechTalk=- Re: dial up connections

  • From: "Jo Ann Weaver" <hillfarm3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:52:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I really don't think it could account for the speed difference in this case.
My older computer had an internal Winmodem running a 568 mgh CPU and still
got a speed of 50.6. My son's computer had a 900 mgh CPU and a non-Winmodem
and still got a much slower speed. One of the externals was a US Robotics
witha serial port connection and the other was a USB Zoom modem. Don't know
the model numbers since my son has them both at his house right now.
Jo Ann

Hiya all
   Remember, that external modems have their own chips and are not sharing
resources with your computer.  This alone could account for the speed
difference.
   By the way, what brand and model numbers did you get?

MJH
"The Basil Book"