-=PCTechTalk=- Re: computer security

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 09:47:01 -0400

Replies inline--

Don wrote:
> [...]
###  My mistake; I read 'modem' but thought 'router'.

> It worked OK one day then not the next.
###  Failure like this is common in electronic components.  However,
this may not be a failure, just a loss of settings.

> For as much of it as I understood, the rest of your message could have been
> written in Chinese.  Will you please tell me what it all means and how to do
> what you suggest?
###  Well, that's difficult, since you didn't bother to include any of
my original post.  Please try to do that in the future, as it helps to
put your comments in context.  And including the post you're replying to
isn't a problem, it's including all the nonsense that Yahoo appends to
the end of each post.  Just delete that and you'll be fine.

That said, here's a bit copied from my post:

"Buy a wireless router or access point that supports the stronger WPA.
Change the SSID from the default
Turn Off the SSID broadcast
Use MAC address authentication
Use some sort of encryption; either 64 or 128 bit
Turn the wireless OFF when not in use.
If you have the ability, set the wireless access point in a DMZ."

The first is listed on the box and/or in the product description; WPA is
stronger than WEP, an earlier standard.  The second thru fifth items are
all contained in the instructions for the particular router.  RTFM.
The sixth is common sense; if something is powered off, its ability to
be hacked drops to zero. The seventh will require some explanation.

'DMZ' produces many results, any of the first 10 will give a more than
adequate description.
Putting 'wireless networking' into google produced this:
http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/pppoe.html

> A URL to a tutorial or other laymen's explanation will suffice.
###  There are a lot of tutorials and information on the web and in
bookstores.  And there is only so much that can be explained in
'layman's' terms.  If you want to run wireless networking, you'll need
to learn about wireless networking and, as a result, you'll no longer be
a 'layman'.

> Don

HTH  Tom