-=PCTechTalk=- Re: computer "Check cable signal" ???

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:25:17 -0500

It probably isn't anything to worry about.  I just set up a new computer
for someone and it has an LCD monitor.  When it first boots, the "no
signal" box pops up momentarily until Windows starts to load.  When Windows
starts to load drivers, it finds its signal and all is fine.  I've also
encountered it on older network computers and they also load normally after
the no signal box.  Possibly the computer still has a thinnet card that
doesn't have any cable going to it.

I have one in the basement that has been doing it for over a year and
nothing bad has happened yet.  It has something to do with the signal sync
and the monitor coming off the POST without a driver.  I think you can
tweak the BIOS to recognise the monitor, but it's never created enough of a
oproblem to worry about here.

On 6/30/2003 at 6:18 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
ArmChairPaintClasses/Madeleine Jacobs was rumoured to have uttered....