-=PCTechTalk=- Re: adobe 7.0

  • From: g.imrie@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, poppy0206@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, g.imrie@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:45:32 -0000

Christine
Many thanks for your prompt and informative reply. If your
friend is using 2K or ME, then it is vital that he chooses
the right executable from the Adobe site. There is no way
the executable for, for example, Win98SE will work in
those OS.

By all means send the PDF through to me here and I'll see
what can be done with it. Don't worry about inclusion of
your photos/map diagrams. So long as I specify that all
graphics in the PDF are to be embedded in the resulting
export, they will show up in either the DOC or RTF file.

If I'm reading this correctly, I'd actually recommend you
work with the RTF rather than the DOC file. It gives you
slightly more flexibility when attempting to repurpose the
text (for one thing, you wouldn't have to worry that his
version of MS Word is the same as/more up to date than
yours, which would be a potential issue with DOC files).
Also, another point which has to be borne in mind is that
of fonts. Unless you have the specific fonts requested by
the PDF, any resulting export is obviously not going to
look exactly the same as the PDF itself. I have a fairly
massive font library here, and can make sure that any
required fonts etc are on system when the export is done.
You (and your friend), however, are also going to have to
ensure that you have those same fonts on hand to ensure
continuity.

I'd seriously doubt whether his book publishers will have
sent him the complete Adobe Acrobat. I may be wrong, but
I think Adobe's ULA specifically forbids this. More likely,
they've sent through a recent copy of the correct Reader
for his system. Is no matter anyhow, since there are
alternatives out on the market. In regard to this, give me a
couple of days to research exactly which one is going to
be best suited to what you need to do. Each of these has
its own strengths/weaknesses, but it has to be stressed:
NONE of them (in my experience, at any rate) do quite as
good a job in conversion as Acrobat itself. Most of them
provide output which has to be tweaked in some manner.

Best Regards

Geo. Imrie MCSA ACI
Computer Scanned and Virus Database Updated Daily with
Panda Titanium 2006 AVG