-=PCTechTalk=- Re: adding downloaded fonts

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:57:07 -0600

Hi Judith, sorry to be so long getting back to you. Had to do some cooking
and real life things...

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/links/News.aspx?NID=1699

The above is Microsoft's web page about typography, it has lots of links
there. You download and use their WEFT tool to turn a font into a file that
can be embedded into a stationery or into a web page. The programs that
Microsoft offers for this are also all free.

Not all fonts can be used this way . . .author's choice, so Microsoft also
has an tiny extension file that you can download on to your pc. What this
does is to add features to the right click function for fonts. When you have
this little program, you can right click on a font file, choose properties,
and it will tell you much more about the font. It will also tell you whether
the creator of the font will allow embedding.

AND you can be viewing a font in The Font Thing and right click on the font
in that program, choose properties, and you still get the same extended
information about the font!

Then after you have a lot of EOT files, you can download an EZ EOT Reader
from the Letterman site to see what they look like. You can get it here:
http://www.lettermanstationery.com/ezeot.htm and it's free.

His site is a treasure trove for those of us who are stationery nuts. And
this is another program I couldn't do without.

As is his "PostBrowser program"! All those stationery emails that you have
saved in your "Aunt Tilly" folder? Well you don't have to open up each one
in OE. You can use the PostBrowser to view them. Easy program to use and
saves loads of time. This is also a free program.

An EOT allows you to add this file (with the correct code) to your
stationery so that the recipient will see the same font that you used to
create the stationery, whether they have it on their computer or not. It
does not install it on their pc.

Hope this explains a bit more about EOTs for you,

Sammi