-=PCTechTalk=- Re: adding downloaded fonts

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:42:49 -0600

Cristy, you would use them like you do any font. You open the font first,
then with Word, PSP, OE open, click on the arrow where you always choose
what font you wish to use and you will see it in the available fonts.

Now naturally once you have closed that font file it is no longer available.
The only reason you minimize it is to get it out of your way. If you want to
use it a lot, then install it.

Another caveat is this: it doesn't matter what font you choose to send using
an email ... the other person won't be able to view it UNLESS they also have
it installed on their computer.

If you want to use fonts that will be seen by anyone, then you have to make
an EOT file of it. Not all fonts are allowed by the author to be embedded.
But this is a whole other tutorial, LOL.

I use my "exotic" fonts more in my graphics program, which is Paint Shop
Pro, more than I would in OE because of the above. But in Word, my
understanding of it is this...it is embedded into that document only and not
installed on the recipient's computer. I could be wrong about this, but I
think that's the way it works.

If you visit a web page where they have used an EOT font file, if you don't
have it installed on your computer, you will get a window asking permission
to temporarily download it so that you can view the page as it was intened.
As general rule, this is safe. But only the Good Lord knows if that is
always so. I am not enough of a guru to know if this has been an implement
that the hackers have ruined for the rest of us.

I hope this helps a little bit,

Sammi

I downloaded a zip file of fonts from the list Rose suggested after joining
the list. I can see them when I click on them individually. My question is
how do I use them in Word or emails?

thanks,

christy