-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Zone Alarm

  • From: "Don" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:21:28 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joyce" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 6:30 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Zone Alarm

> A friends Uncle, age 80, has just gotten a laptop and is having trouble
> sending or receiving e-mail.  He has been told to try disabling Zone Alarm
> but he has no idea how to do that.  I am not currently using Zone Alarm so
> could one of you who is, tell me how to disable it.  I will pass the info
> along and maybe save him from trashing the whole idea. (which I guess he
is
> about to do even though he loved keeping in touch with kids and grandkids
> with e-mail).  And please give a very simple step by step instruction.
> Thanks guys.
> Joyce

Disabling Zone Alarm may not be the answer, but it could determine if ZA is
the cause of the problem (right click the ZA icon in the notification tray
and click disable). He may just need to set ZA to allow his email client
access to the net.  That process is much easier DONE than said (explained).
I would think that either you or your friend could sit down at the laptop,
open ZA and fix the configuration in just a few minutes.  I don't use ZA
anymore so I can't provide step by step instructions myself.

I certainly would NOT disable ZA for more than the few seconds it takes to
transfer email.

Don
---

PLEASE, if you are able, help the Hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan and
Jeanne relief efforts.  Your help can be to donate blood, cash, groceries,
clothing, shelter, volunteer time or just thoughts and prayers.  I promise
it will be sincerely appreciated by those that need the assistance.  Call
your favorite religious, volunteer or charitable agencies to learn how you
can help.   Thank you.