-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XPS 400

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:05:27 -0400

Troth,
    Apparently, it's a 10/100/1000 ethernet port.  According to the specs:

green light for 10-Mb operation; orange light for 100-Mb operation; yellow
light for 1000-Mbps (or 1-Gbps) operation

    So the color isn't telling you anything at all other than it detects a
100 mb/s connection through the cable.  Do you have a spare 10.100 card with
you that you can use to test the port itself.  If the connection works with
the card, it would narrow things down to the motherboard's port, the
motherboard LAN driver or the connection settings and rule out the overall
network and ethernet cable.  Assuming the connection works using the spare
card, you could just charge them for the card, let them know that the
motherboard may be aging before its time and call it a day.

Peace,
Gman