-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wireless

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:23:06 -0400

There's a huge difference between Kb/s and kb/s and no internal meter is
going to ba able to guage just how much info is moving across the pipes
outside of your home.  There are too many variables that affect the net
total and all that can tell you is the gross amount that it can see from
'home'.  To accurately test a connection, you need to test it using several
different 'speed test' sites connecting to different servers in different
parts of the world and retest several times at different times of the day.
Only by averaging them out over a prolonged testing period will you get a
fairly clear picture of how your connection deals with varying internet
traffic patterns and other issues that affect such things (like hurricanes,
power outtages, etc.).

Peace,
Gman