-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows/Hardware requirements?

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:27:18 -0700

Hi Folks,
I have used this program to unpdate older Win 98 computers and not had any=
 problems with the results;

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 1.1

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-191.shtml

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows98 SE.
But I made a Service Pack for Windows98 SE users. It contains all Windows98=
 SE updates from WindowsUpdate site and more.

It is a self-extracting and self-installing pack like Microsoft's update=
 files. Thus, you cannot choice files individually.
Uninstallation is possible from Add-Remove Programs.

IT IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. It contains only=
 operating system updates.
It does not contain DirectX, Media Player or other similar products

Features:

- 52 hot fixes. (All of them are from Microsoft.)
- 256-color tray. (Some icons on the tray like WinAMP's icon will be shown=
 better.)
- Better Defrag and Scandisk. (Faster. They are from Windows ME. However,=
 they work properly on the Windows98 SE.)
- Better Notepad. (Same Notepad with more key bindings.)
- Optimized swap file usage. (Windows will not to use the swap file at all=
 until the entire RAM is used.)
- Better WDM and USB support. (Some problems about WDM drivers and USB=
 devices are solved.)
- Windows Scripting Host 5.6. (Latest version of Scripting Host which also=
 contains VBScript and JScript support.)
- Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 runtime library. (To run Visual Basic 6.0 programs.)
- Windows 2000 color scheme. (You should select it from Control=
 Panel-Display-Appearance.)
- A few cosmetic and performance tweaks.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/23/2005 at 4:59 PM Chris Spotta wrote:

I do not believe you can patch from 98 to 98SE, so I imagine you still have
98.
USB 2 devices will work when plugged into USB 1.1 ports - but only at USB
1.1 speeds.
The bigger problem will probably be win98's USB support - or lack of it

You can upgrade 98 to 98SE, but you will need an 'upgrade 98SE' disc - I
have tried before using a 'full version' disc, and it would only allow a
clean install - not upgrade

Regards

Chris
chris@xxxxxxxxxx