-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows ME - Safe Mode?

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:00:06 -0800

Hi Lacey
Yes, here are the instructions I have saved;

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

---------------
How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering
from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a
previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and
stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully
each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To
restore one of these previous copies:

1/ Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose
'Safe Mode Command Prompt Only' from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2/ At the MS-DOS prompt, type 'cd\windows\command' (without quote's),
and then press ENTER.
Where "windows" is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3/ At the C: prompt, type 'scanreg /restore' , and then press ENTER.

4/ Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
NOTE : A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5/ When you receive notification that you restored a properly working
registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

On 09/01/2004 at 8:43 PM ~Lacey~ wrote:

Does Windows ME have a system restore? A friend of mine phoned with a
problem that her computer is only starting up in safe mode -- it does the
hdd check when it restarts and then goes back into safe mode. I'm not sure
what could be causing it but I thought I'd find out first if there is an
option to rollback to a "good" point.
Thanks,
~Lacey~