-=PCTechTalk=- Re: What to do?

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:33:51 -0700

Hi John,
Norton AV can be very frustrating when it acts up.
I have had to uninstall and reinstall it more than once.
When it works corectly it is good.

I updated my Virusinfo pages yesteday.
Page 4 contains HACKFIX PROGRAM UPDATES
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/hackfix_program_updates.htm

It list the most common AV/Trojan/Firewall programs.

This free program has done very well in the HackFix
( www.hackfix.org ) testing.
H+BEDV Software  AntiVir Personal
Current Version: 6.14.07.57
Supports: Win95/95/ME/NT/2K/XP
http://www.free-av.de/antivirus/currvere.html

I had tried A.N.T.S when it first came out, but did
not install it on my Windows XP computer.

There is also a virus worm; W32.Anset.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.anset.worm.html
W32.Anset.Worm
Discovered on: October 24, 2001
Last Updated on: April 15, 2002 at 05:12:47 PM PDT

W32.Anset.Worm is a Internet worm written in Delphi.
It arrives as email with the attachment Ants3set.exe.
This worm spreads by sending itself to email addresses
found in the Microsoft Outlook address book.
It is disguised as a freeware Trojan horse scanner known as ANTS.
 ~~~~

I did find this manual;
http://www.krazee.unstman.btinternet.co.uk/MANUAL_FOR_ANTS_2.txt
MANUAL FOR ANTS 2.0 TROJAN SCANNER

Close all running files, and install ANTS as prompted. After this,
in  "programs" you'll find ANTS:

1) A New Trojan Scanner.

- trojan scanner: you can choose a drive or a specific file
("verzeichnis wahlen") to scan;
- Autostart:  shows startup programs and offers the possibility to
delete or change entries ("loschen"). There are options to show:
registry, config.sys, autoexec.bat, win.ini, system.ini and
winstart.bat.
- Verbindungen (connections) shows current internet connections. A
green signal means all is well; a red signal means suspect. You
can update the list pressing "Aktualisieren".
- Portscan offers the possibility to scan your own system, or
another system (112 ports). Scanning will take approx. 3 - 10
minutes.
- Prozesse (processes) offers the possibility  to kill a choosen
process. You can update the list pressing "Aktualisieren".
- Optionen (options) provide the following:
- choose  the scan engine you want to use;
- scaneinstellungen (scan configuration): 1) ask for action when
trojan found 2) delete
  found trojan automaticly 3) never delete found trojan.
- Heuristik (heuristic): heuristic scanning sensibility can be
defined; the higher, the more
  chance for false alarms.
- possibility  to scan for unknown signatures
- Sonstiges (various) offers the possibility  to add extensions to
be scanned; adding should
   be done one by one. "Alle dateien scannen" : scan all files
possibility
- Update shows program information; updates are planned on a
weekly basis. Close the
Background scanner ("Wachter") before updating. Update (internet
connection needed)
By pressing "Updatevogang starten"

Clicking "schliessen" will end the program on all  tabs.

2) ANTS deinstallieren: deinstall the program ANTS.

3) Schnelltest performs a quick and short scan.

4) Wachter is in fact the resident background scanner.
~~~~

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

On 09/07/2002 at 9:47 AM John hircock wrote:

Thankjs Mike. i will put this in my little folder in case. I rang
them up
,in Sydney,yesterday and they gave some advise through posting an
email. I
followed some of the way and in the end i took Norton A.V out and
re-installed. I woill have to see what happens. I had to
continually
downlpoad and restart my P.C. over and over. Everytime I had to go
back
online. phone calls galore. I think it is still doing this this
morning. I
want to spend time online this morning and then I will have
another try
later today.      I also have a trojan remover called A.N.T.S.
A new
Tojan scanner. I think I got it from here. Apparently it has an
update
facility and I have clicked on it and it shows a large number of
poyential
uploads. I click and there is a box and requests cerver??? what is
it asking
me??  are you familaiar with this program?? if not maybe somebody
in the
group is. It would give me and others in the group another weapon
against
this insanity.   Many thanks for ypour kind attention . Love John