-=PCTechTalk=- Re: VMs

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:13:39 -0500

Yipes!  That is a lot of questions.  Hehe... OK, since you seem to want all
the details I will talk about my experience with VMware Workstation.  MS
Virtual PC may be a little different but they are basically the same.

First of all, the VM runs in a window on the host OS (which is the OS you
install the VM software on), so there is no need to uninstall one of your
current OS's unless you need the disk space.  VMware has a full screen
option (and I imagine Virtual PC does also) so it can hide the host OS if
you need the full screen to work with.  The guest OS is the OS you install
in the VM.

You start out running VMware and telling it to create your first VM.  It
asks how much resources to allocate to it like:
- Memory:  The memory you allocate will be taken from the host OS when you
run the VM.  I find that 600 MB works pretty good for WinXP, but I don't
install a ton of software in the VM.
- Disk space (HD's):  This also will be taken from the host OS, but VMware
gives you the option of allocating the whole space up front for better
performance, or allocate the space on the host OS as you use it in the guest
OS.  You can allocate as many virtual drives as you like (and have space
for).  You can also add a HD that uses a physical drive on the host OS.  I
usually allocate between 10 and 20 GB, but the space you allocate depends on
what you plan on installing.
- NIC (Network Interface Cards):  Often referred to as Ethernet Cards for
network and/or internet access.  VMware has several options available to
customize what kind of network or internet access you use.  The most common
option for home use would be 'NAT' which will set up a private network
between the guest and host which will give you access to the host's internet
access.
- CD/DVD drives:  You can configure these drives to either use drives on the
host OS or ISO images.  ISO's are disk images of a CD-ROM or DVD disk.
- Shared folders:  These are folders on your host OS that you will see as a
network share on the guest OS to make it easy to transfer files between the
guest and host OS's.
- You can also configure or add sound cards, serial ports, parallel ports,
and some others.
- The setup wizard also asks what OS you plan on installing in the guest VM
so it knows what hardware to emulate.

Now that you have the VM set up, you can install an OS on the guest from
CD/DVD just like a real PC.  Just make sure the drive you put the disk in is
seen in the VM.  If its not in the VM, just add a new CD/DVD drive that uses
that drive.

Ed