-=PCTechTalk=- Re: USB problem

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:35:46 +0100

Sylvia,

first, the ram shows at 56mb, and Aidia32 shows 64mb.  This would suggest to
me that the graphics card is built into the motherboard, and used 8mb of the
ram. This is usually referred to as shared RAM.  So it takes 8mb from the
total memory installed in the PC.

The easiest way to test your friends printer is to try it on a PC that you
know the USB ports work on.  A good and cheap way to check the USB ports on
any PC is to get a cheap USB connecting mouse.

Also as the Compaq only has 64MB of RAM in Total, I am wondering if it has
enough for the installation of the Lexmark software and drivers.  Again the
manual etc for the printer should tell you.  As you know what model the PC
is, you should be able to get some more RAM easily, and hopefully cheaply
too.

If you still can't get the USB ports on the Compaq to work, you could
consider either getting a USB to Parallel cable, so the parallel port on the
PC could be used, or you could get a PCI USB card and install that.

Hope some of that helps

Trevnal