-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Troth

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bashful Bob <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:31:20 -0500

We all miss him Bob...........but he is doing what he does
best.....giving himself to the people in his life.  A great example
for all of us!  As we say in the fire department........"he's got his
sh*t together".

Sorry - don't mean to offend anyone.

  Regards from

Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
          ,,,,,,,,
         =D4=BF=D4=AC
   Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
---------------------------------
Sunday, 2/13/2005, @ 11:29:11 PM EST
---------------------------------
Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present
generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make good use of
it!

-- John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, April 26, 1777

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D|:o:|=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:21:35 -0600, Bashful Bob wrote:
  |   Troth
  |   Next time you hear from Gman, Please give him my regards and
  |   wishes for the best. Please tell him he is missed.
  |
  |   thanks
  |   Life is what happens in between plans.
  |
  |   Virus free email by Norton's
  |   This message is intended for the sole use of the individual
  |   and/or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
  |   information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
  |   disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee,
  |   or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee, you
  |   are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or
  |   distribute to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you
  |   have received this in error, please immediately advise the
  |   sender by e-mail and delete this information. Thank you -----
  |   Original Message ----- From: "~OoO~" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  |   To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005
  |   10:07 PM Subject: -=3DPCTechTalk=3D- Re: G man
  |

  |    |   Bob, you seem to be missing the point on KC's statement.
  |    |   If you want to start an IRC room, then go ahead. There's
  |    |   no fear that people will leave this list to go to an IRC
  |    |   room. The list already has a loyal following.
  |    |
  |   And,
  |    |   this is not a dictatorship. If someone doesn't like the
  |    |   list, they leave. Why would we want to pin people here
  |    |   that aren't interested. IRC chats are fun and a
  |    |   refreshing change to an email list sometimes. But, and I
  |    |   agree with this, IRC is usually not the best medium for
  |    |   tech help. I don't
  |    |
  |   know...
  |    |   maybe its me. But, I can't go into an IRC room and just
  |    |   hang around. I could, however, go to an IRC room when I
  |    |   wanna toss some time around
  |    |
  |   meeting
  |    |   new people with similar interests. I used to be on IRC a
  |    |   lot, until my
  |    |
  |   time
  |    |   became lacking. For me, email just works better. But,
  |    |   this is why all of
  |    |
  |   the
  |    |   best tech support groups on the web either use bulletin
  |    |   board software (vBulletin, phpBB, etc) or an email list,
  |    |   such as ours. If you want to
  |    |
  |   start
  |    |   an IRC room, go for it... but, just set it up, give the
  |    |   details once, and let's move on.
  |    |
  |    |   Regarding Gman... you obviously didn't completely read
  |    |   KC's post. In his
  |    |
  |    |   statement... "Gman ran into some personal problems." More
  |    |   specifically,
  |    |
  |   Gman
  |    |   ran into some financial problems. Should we go deeper?
  |    |   No, of course not. Technically, its not important WHAT
  |    |   those problems are... only that the
  |    |
  |   guy
  |    |   has some deeper issues to deal with. Imagine telling your
  |    |   wife or children that the computer and internet are more
  |    |   important... wouldn't stand, would it. Point is, Gman
  |    |   started this list several years ago. He was on a list
  |    |   that was geared to a different topic (tech topic, but not
  |    |   really tech support), and he decided to spin off into his
  |    |   own list, to help those less knowledgeable. He brought a
  |    |   few us along for the ride and recruited new hands. As
  |    |   anyone that has dealt with him can tell you, he went out
  |    |   of his way to help. And, he was very good at explaining
  |    |   things. Maybe that was
  |    |
  |   his
  |    |   "instructor" skills, since he was a guitar teacher as
  |    |   well.
  |    |
  |    |   So... now you know what you need to know about Gman. And,
  |    |   you know, I
  |    |
  |   don't
  |    |   believe he's gone permanently. I know he'll eventually be
  |    |   back. Unfortunately, his email addresses that we have are
  |    |   down as well. But, we get an occasional email from him.
  |    |
  |    |   ---Troth
  |    |
  |    |
  |    |
  |    |   Well I'm really sorry you are so one sided and feel the
  |    |   way you do.
  |    |
  |   Number
  |    |   one, no one said anyone would quit this group because
  |    |   there's a channel on IRC for them to go to and be able to
  |    |   talk live without having to wait for someone to get done
  |    |   cooking supper, or to get back from a trip or come to
  |    |   think of it, the owner won't run off and leave someone
  |    |   else holding the
  |    |
  |   bag
  |    |   of running the channel/group.
  |    |
  |    |   No one said they have to quit this group.  If you don't
  |    |   like the idea then don't bother coming to the channel.
  |    |   It's as simple as that.  I don't plan on quitting the
  |    |   group neither simply because not all people are going to
  |    |
  |   go
  |    |   on IRC.  But for those who are going on IRC, more power
  |    |   to them if they
  |    |
  |   wish
  |
  |    |   to better themselves.  There's no reason to start jumping
  |    |   on their cases
  |    |
  |   and
  |
  |    |   raising hell simply because they plan on doing something
  |    |   you don't care to do.  That is very one sided and dis-
  |    |   respectful.
  |    |
  |    |   As far as your last statement here, why do you think
  |    |   someone's mother
  |    |
  |   would
  |    |   look down on them simply because they go to an IRC
  |    |   channel?  They go there because they wish to and maybe
  |    |   even to better themselves.  As I said, no
  |    |
  |   one
  |
  |    |   has been told they should leave this group.  The channel
  |    |   is so no one has
  |    |

  |    |   wait until someone decides to reply to their post and so
  |    |   no one will yell
  |    |
  |   at
  |
  |    |   them because they talked about something other then
  |    |   computers or programs.
  |    |
  |    |   More power to the new Mods.  I wish them well.  There
  |    |   will also be channel ops on the new channel which is the
  |    |   same as a Mod.  The 7 supporters of
  |    |
  |   the
  |    |   new channel will all be channel operators (Mods).  We are
  |    |   all supposed to
  |    |
  |   be
  |
  |    |   here to help each other.  The channel will not stop that.
  |    |
  |    |   The channel can also be like a family.  Just because it's
  |    |   on IRC don't
  |    |
  |   mean
  |    |   it's a bad thing.  Before you knock something, look into
  |    |   it and give it a try.  To allow, and encourage, a certain
  |    |   amount of "chatter" is nice but
  |    |
  |   the
  |
  |    |   channel will allow all the chatter no matter what it is
  |    |   so long as it has nothing to do with porn.  If someone on
  |    |   the channel don't like the type of chatter going on at
  |    |   that time, then they don't have to participate and are
  |    |   welcome to talk about what ever they want.  Nothing
  |    |   anyone wants to talk about will be shot down.
  |    |
  |    |   Like I said before, the channel will be there for anyone
  |    |   who wishes to
  |    |
  |   talk
  |    |   and get an instant answer at that time.  They can and
  |    |   will still be part
  |    |
  |   of
  |    |   this group.  No one will desert you're group.  It is very
  |    |   easy to be in a channel and keep looking at your email
  |    |   for messages.  What's wrong with someone wanting more for
  |    |   their time they spend on their computer and
  |    |
  |   what's
  |    |   wrong with someone wishing to have instant help for
  |    |   something that might need the help right now and not
  |    |   necessarily when someone gets ready to
  |    |
  |   reply
  |
  |    |   to their email.  There is nothing wrong with the group
  |    |   nor is there
  |    |
  |   anything
  |
  |    |   wrong with the channel.  Together we can all make a
  |    |   difference.  We can
  |    |
  |   all
  |    |   help each other now in more ways then one.
  |    |
  |    |   I have only one other question about the matter of this
  |    |   group.  If it was
  |    |
  |   so
  |
  |    |   important to G Man, then why has he decided not to be
  |    |   part of it anymore?
  |    |

  |    |   have been here for a little while and have never heard
  |    |   anything about him until today.  I WILL be around the
  |    |   channel at least 90 percent of the
  |    |
  |   time.
  |
  |    |   That really doesn't matter though.  The group is here and
  |    |   will remain here and I imagine everyone who goes to the
  |    |   channel will also be here.  It is very possible and easy
  |    |   to be in both.  Just as the channel is concerned.
  |    |
  |   It
  |
  |    |   will be here and will stay here for a long time and
  |    |   nothing says the
  |    |
  |   members
  |
  |    |   of the channel has to stop this group.  I don't plan on
  |    |   stopping or
  |    |
  |   helping
  |    |   where ever I can and I don't think anyone else will
  |    |   neither.
  |    |
  |    |   Bob
  |    |
  |    |
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   I've been kind of quiet hoping this would die away.
  |    |    |    It hasn't so I must step in.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   1)  I do NOT support a IRC channel........using it
  |    |    |   would separate the learning that goes on here.
  |    |    |   Every time someone asks a question here, five or
  |    |    |   ten people learn something just by listening.  If
  |    |    |   it's asked on an IRC channel, there is no one else
  |    |    |   reading the answer unless we all sit and monitor
  |    |    |   the channel......bad situation.  Additionally,
  |    |    |   there is no archive to do research on.  Lastly, the
  |    |    |   idea of this group is to provide support to newer
  |    |    |   PC users...........moving, even a part of the
  |    |    |   group, to IRC involves even more learning for those
  |    |    |   same people.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   2)  GMan was the founder of this group....and
  |    |    |   worked damned hard to make it a success.  Others
  |    |    |   like myself, DrFaustus, SirTroth, and nightsneak
  |    |    |   were hand picked to help administer the list.
  |    |    |   Unfortunately, GMan ran into some personal problems
  |    |    |   and had to leave the list.  It was thought his
  |    |    |   leave would be temporary, but it has become, I
  |    |    |   guess, permanent.   Nightsneak passed away from
  |    |    |   cancer.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   3)  This group will remain here, and will be run as
  |    |    |   it was originally intended......as a support group
  |    |    |   where each of us helps the other, sharing our
  |    |    |   collective understanding of computers and software.
  |    |    |    We will dissuade all attempts to answer questions
  |    |    |   off list, including using IRC, etc. as doing so
  |    |    |   robs the other members of the answers to questions.
  |    |    |    Remember, the intent is NOT to just provide an
  |    |    |   answer to the person who asks the question, it is
  |    |    |   to share the answer among many who read the
  |    |    |   traffic, and who, though they may not have asked
  |    |    |   the question, may also not know the answer.
  |    |    |   Additionally, if the answer isn't shared..the
  |    |    |   thread dies and even more information on the topic
  |    |    |   of the thread will not be shared.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   4)  We have been rather hamstrung by not having
  |    |    |   GMans leadership......the list belonged to him.
  |    |    |   Recently, the list ownership has been transferred
  |    |    |   to me.   I gave Freelists the option to give it to
  |    |    |   any of the current Mods.....it was given to me.  I
  |    |    |   cherish the help of the Mods we have, and hope they
  |    |    |   will remain with the list. So far, they have done
  |    |    |   just that, as evidenced by the fact that no one
  |    |    |   noticed we'd changed ownership.......business is as
  |    |    |   usual.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   5)  I've identified the need for at least two more
  |    |    |   Mods to help with the list.  The current Mods have
  |    |    |   discussed this, and we've settled on two we'd like
  |    |    |   to ask.  We hope they will answer the call when
  |    |    |   asked......we think they are good people and will
  |    |    |   help the list a great deal.  Remember that Mods
  |    |    |   aren't picked because they are the smartest PC
  |    |    |   people..........but because of their personality,
  |    |    |   their demonstrated ability to communicate well,
  |    |    |   their demonstrated desire to help others, and their
  |    |    |   dedication to the list.  More on this in the near
  |    |    |   future.....but I hope the people we've elected to
  |    |    |   ask will agree to serve us all.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   6)  Another aspect of the lists personality is that
  |    |    |   most people who are members become part of a sort
  |    |    |   of family.  We allow, and encourage, a certain
  |    |    |   amount of "chatter" or off-topic discussion.  It
  |    |    |   was this way when GMan owned the list, and it will
  |    |    |   continue that way on my watch.  We Mods believe it
  |    |    |   adds to the sense of community, and helps those
  |    |    |   reluctant to post, to feel at ease and contribute
  |    |    |   to the community.  Please remember, it is NOT the
  |    |    |   Mods who provide the technical answers..........it
  |    |    |   is the members themselves.....so everyone is valued
  |    |    |   here.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   7)  The topic of the digest has come up before.
  |    |    |   I'm sorry that some find the list traffic heavy.
  |    |    |   While I sympathize with their dilemma, I will NOT
  |    |    |   ask the list to curtail the number or length of
  |    |    |   posts.  I do agree we ought be respectful of
  |    |    |   others, though, by making sure the topic is in
  |    |    |   agreement with the post, and by minimizing the
  |    |    |   older portions of each new post.  That
  |    |    |   means......don't cut everything off as it makes it
  |    |    |   harder to follow the thread.........it does mean
  |    |    |   cut off previous information that doesn't help
  |    |    |   further the thread.  The total traffic on this list
  |    |    |   is still fairly small compared to the many lists
  |    |    |   I've belonged to or moderated.  For those few who
  |    |    |   find it too much, perhaps other lists would be more
  |    |    |   suited to their needs.  I will not curtail this
  |    |    |   list to suit a few.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   8)  Lastly, I want to thank those people who have
  |    |    |   been here a long time, and who have stayed with the
  |    |    |   list even when it seemed down and doomed.  I'm
  |    |    |   excited, as I see the number of posts
  |    |    |   increasing.....the content getting more diversified
  |    |    |   and interesting.  I wish to thank not only the few
  |    |    |   Mods we have, but all you regulars who hang in here
  |    |    |   every day and take the time to answer questions --
  |    |    |   it is YOU people who are the heart and soul of this
  |    |    |   list.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask
  |    |    |   them.  We are not heavy handed here.........the
  |    |    |   only real rules are that this list:
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   1)  Respects all its members and believes there are
  |    |    |   no stupid questions.
  |    |    |   2)  Requires that all members treat each others
  |    |    |   posts with respect. In simple terms......never post
  |    |    |   anything here you wouldn't post to your mother,
  |    |    |   daughter, or minister <G>
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   Regards from
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
  |    |    |   ,,,,,,,,
  |    |    |   =3DD4=3DBF=3DD4=3DAC
  |    |    |   Cincinnati, Ohio
  |    |    |   Scottsdale, Arizona
  |    |    |   ---------------------------------
  |    |    |   Sunday, 2/13/2005, @ 7:14:24 PM EST
  |    |    |   ---------------------------------
  |    |    |   A man should never be ashamed to own that he has
  |    |    |   been in the wrong, which is but saying that he is
  |    |    |   wiser today than he was yesterday.
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   -- Alexander Pope  (1688-1744) English Poet
  |    |    |
  |    |

=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D|:o:|=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3
  |   D=3D3D=3D3
  |
  |    |   D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D
  |    |
  |    |    |   On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:08:21 -0600, Bob Crews
  |    |    |   wrote: Hi Mike, |
  |    |    |   Don't get me wrong Mike, It's a very nice group.  I
  |    |    |   like it as does my wife. I also understand people
  |    |    |   preferring on topic posts being put here.  I just
  |    |    |   don't understand why G man would possibly be so
  |    |    |   down on it.  Anyway, it's not really a big deal. I
  |    |    |   am opening a irc channel for the purpose of having
  |    |    |   computer help an general chat.  That way maybe
  |    |    |   there will be less off topic talk here.  If you
  |    |    |   would like to make it known to new people on this
  |    |    |   group that there is a new channel they can go to,
  |    |    |   it might help.  I will promise you that we will not
  |    |    |   try to pull your users away from this group.  The
  |    |    |   new channel is just so there is a place where
  |    |    |   people can go and get "real time" inf. and chat as
  |    |    |   well.  You are invited as well.  You do not have to
  |    |    |   be a supporter to be part of the channel.  I was
  |    |    |   asking for supporters before because it calls for 7
  |    |    |   supporters in order for me to be able to start the
  |    |    |   new channel. |
  |    |    |   If you or anyone else has any questions about the
  |    |    |   new channel, please feel free to notify me with my
  |    |    |   personal email address. | Bob | | ----- Original
  |    |    |   Message ----- From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> To:
  |    |    |   <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, February
  |    |    |   13, 2005 2:46 PM Subject: -=3D3DPCTechTalk=3D3D- G man
  |    |    |   | | Hi Bob,
  |    |    |   I changed the Subject to match the thread. |
  |    |    |   12:54 PM Bob Crews wrote: |
  |    |    |   Well, just exactly who is G man?  Maybe he's one of
  |    |    |   the supporters for the new channel because one of
  |    |    |   them is using the nick name of G.  Anyway, nothing
  |    |    |   WRONG or BAD is going on in HIS group.  Just an
  |    |    |   over sight.  Big deal. | Bob | ----- Original
  |    |    |   Message ----- From: "John W" <skeets@xxxxxxxxx> To:
  |    |    |   <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, February
  |    |    |   13, 2005 12:30 PM
  |    |    |   Subject: -=3D3DPCTechTalk=3D3D- Re: Problem with modem
  |    |    |   | |
  |    |    |   Sometimes I'm glad that G Man isn't around to see
  |    |    |   what's going on here on his group! | John S N I P
  |    |    |    S N I P    S N I P   S N I P |
  |    |    |   please trim for the benifit of those on digest | To
  |    |    |   unsub or change your email settings:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk | To
  |    |    |   access our Archives:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/ | For
  |    |    |   more info:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/cgi-
  |    |    |   bin/list?list_id=3D3Dpctechtalk | | To unsub or
  |    |    |   change your email settings:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk | To
  |    |    |   access our Archives:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/ | For
  |    |    |   more info:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/cgi-
  |    |    |   bin/list?list_id=3D3Dpctechtalk
  |    |    |
  |    |    |
  |    |    |   To unsub or change your email settings:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
  |    |    |   To access our Archives:
  |    |    |   //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
  |    |    |   For more info: