-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Thunderbird

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:32:45 -0500

Whatever kind of account it is, the password has to be changed in the
account first and then changed in T-bird.  IOW, set the password for the
account thru the website and then match that in the T-bird settings.

You'll need the POP mail server and the SMTP server names.  Sometimes
they are the same machine, like Bellsouth uses mail.bellsouth.net for
both while earthlink uses pop.mindspring.com for the POP server and
mail.mindspring.com for the SMTP.

Also, with some accounts, you'll need the whole email address, such as
ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Other POP servers only require the first part,
such as ilrover.

Another possibility may be that the mail server they have is too small
to handle the capacity of all their users.  In which case, nothing you
do in T-bird or OE will make any difference.

And a pop account is a pop account, regardless who provides it.

Tom