-=PCTechTalk=- Re: This Spoof Ain't Funny

  • From: Glen <glbbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

Yes. I got page not found. It looked like the website
moved the article around with a new address. The new
address and the one you gave didn't match.
Since the article was a couple of days old, it was
probably moved to some type of archive location.

Also, on a side note the article you posted had a lot
of equal(=) signs followed by the number 20. I do not
know if it was pctechtalk, yahoo or your forwarding of
the email......strange...

Glen

http://www.internetweek.com/allStories/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=3D2210=
> [...]
> > > official-looking, sites. Phishing, awful as it
> is,
> > > at least requires =
> > > that the victim do something, however foolish,
> such
> > > as responding with =
> > > credit-card information to an e-mail.=20
> > >

> > > That's precisely the sort of bait-and-switch con
> > > than can at least be =
> > > approached through education and behavioral
> change.
> > > Anti-phishing tips =
> > > basically come down to common-sense advice about
> > > verifying financial =
> > > communications before responding to them.=20
> > >

> > > The latest spoofing scam takes bait-and-switch
> to a
> > > new level, hiding =
> > > the switched information in plain sight--right
> there
> > > on the page in =
> > > front of us.=20
> > >

> > > This new area of uncertainty will doubtless
> compound
> > > existing worries =
> > > over data breaches and incidents like last
> week's
> > > coordinated attack on =
> > > financial sites.=20
> > >

> > > The result is an environment that may cause
> serious,
> > > and perhaps =
> > > crippling, damage to already substantial
> concerns
> > > about the =
> > > trustworthiness of online transactions.=20
> > >

> > > Is there a point at which all of the levels of
> > > patches, verifications, =
> > > firewalls, ant-virus definitions, and the rest
> will
> > > become simply too =
> > > much for many people to bother with? If so, the
> > > browser-spoofing =
> > > vulnerability is likely to move many people one
> step
> > > closer to giving =
> > > up. Let's hope not.=20
> > >

> > > Test Your Browser's Spoofing Vulnerability
> > >

> > > a.. Secunia Browser Vulnerability Test=20
> > >
> > > Search The TechWeb Network=20
> > >
> > > a.. Phish=20
> > > a.. Spoof=20
> > >
> > > Get TechEncyclopedia Definitions=20
> > >
> > > a.. Spoofing=20
> > >
> > > Get White Papers=20
> > >
> > > a.. A Service-based Approach to the Email Fraud
> > > Problem=20
> > > a.. Security at the Next Level: Are Your Web
> > > Applications Vulnerable?=20
> > > Life is what happens in between plans.
> > >
> > > Virus free email by Norton's
> > > This message is intended for the sole use of the
> > > individual and/or =
> > > entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
> > > information that is =
> > > privileged, confidential, and exempt from
> disclosure
> > > under applicable =
> > > law. If you are not the addressee, or authorized
> > > receive this on =
> > > behalf of the addressee, you are hereby notified
> > > that you may not use, =
> > > copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone this

=== message truncated ===