-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The dog poo hits the fans

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:45:32 -0500

Well, thank you very much.  Everyone's level of 'expertise' comes more with
time and experience than any schooling and is readily available to anyone
who decides to dig in that deep.  As an example, I learned about computers
back when we were still using punch cards on a huge IBM 4331 mainframe
computer (in 1982 or 3), but we don't seem to get many questions about those
anymore      lol

To be perfectly honest, I started this group back in 1998 because I was
having too hard a time answering questions across all of the other groups to
which I was subbed at the time (something like 60-70 of them).  I just told
everyone that if they had any computer questions, then they'd have to
subscribe and ask on my own group instead.  It sure made it easier for me to
follow all of the threads and, as a bonus, I realized that a lot of other
people were learning from the conversations.  So, in a nutshell, I'm here
because I made a conscious decision to make my online life easier.  So, it
could easily be argued that I am actually here for SELFISH reasons (and that
would indeed be true).

However, we have numerous other techs here that are TRULY selfless.  Please
forgive me to anyone who may feel otherwise, but this is especially true of
the members of the Mod Squad (the PCTT moderators).  Not only do they spend
their free time here answering questions and giving advice (which surely
must cut into their family and entertainment time), they also work behind
the scenes to help ensure that everyone is enjoying the best possible
membership we can offer (and all for the low, low price of $0.  Operators
are standing by).  Then, of course, there are the other IT folks, techs and
power users who also selflessly spend time here helping others through what
must sometimes feel like an avalanche of problems.  Better yet, some of our
long time members have learned so much, they're now the ones GIVING the
advice.  My hat's off to ALL of them!

I truly appreciate any and all of the thanks I personally receive, but I
also know in my heart that the loudest praise should be piled high onto
everyone else who has ever sent in a reply in an effort to help someone else
in need.  After all, that is the original true spirit of this wonderful
medium known as the internet.             :O))))))

Geez, this reply got a lot longer than I had planned.           lol

Peace,
GMan