-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange shut down failure....

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:19:13 -0400

You have two distinct problems.  Maybe.

Some computers have a multi-function on-off button on the front.

Press quickly and it will hibernate, go into standby or shutdown depending
on how you have it configured.

Press and HOLD and it will power off.

When turning back on, press quickly and it should waken from standy or
hibernation.... press and hold and it powers on.

If you are using the power button correctly, then you have two distinct
problems.

Win98 has a history of shutdown problems.  Search for that on Google.

The other problem is a power problem.  This could be anywhere from the
housewiring connection on the backside of the wall socket to the power
supply and power controls on the computer.

Try a different power cord.  Then try a different wall socket.  If the
problem persists the problem is hardware related.  A loose wire, a bad
internal connector or a bad switch.  Do a thorough physical inspection and
cleaning first.  Remove the power supply and clean it and its cooling fan
and then inspect all the wiring and connectors.  If everything looks good,
you might try it in another computer or at least check the continuity
between the P/S input and the output side of the power switch.  Operate the
power switch a few times to check the switch.

If you fix the Win98 problems and all the electrical problems and you still
have a problem, you will likely need a technician to service the box.

Don