-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start Problem?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:50:40 -0400

DJ,
    There are still tons of mainboards available that support the 775 socket
and most of them work perfectly well for both single and multi-core CPU's.
This means you can replace the board now and continue using the CPU you
already own.  When you're ready, pop that out and replace it with a Core 2
Duo or maybe even a Quad CPU.  The upgrade might require a BIOS update, but
those have become very easy to do.

    CPU heat production is not a result of the number of cores within a
package.  Instead, heat is reduced by several methods including the ability
of the manufacturer to physically shrink the size of the components on the
chips they make (often referred to as the CPU's 'die size').  As the size of
the transistors and such get smaller, they need less electricity to
function.  Less electricity results in less heat as well as more room for
additional functions such as larger onboard memory caches.  Both of the
major manufacturers have done well in striking good balances between
functionality and power draw/heat production.

    You need to be aware that replacing a mainboard will require the need to
back up your data and reinstall Windows.  It may take a bit of work, but the
results are well worth the effort as you'll be working with a fresh install
with all new drivers on a more modern board.  You may even get that 'new
computer' smell back.       :O)

    To narrow down the choices, I'll need a bit of info from you.
Specifically, what other devices are currently connected to the board you
have now?  For instance, I need to know how many and what type of hard
drives (SATA or IDE) you have.  Some other sample questions follow below.

How many PCI cards are installed?
Can you list them?

What ports are most important to you?
If you have a camera with a cable that needs a serial port, I'll need to
know that.

Does your mouse and keyboard connect through PS/2 or USB ports?
PS/2 is a small, round port and they are usually color coded.

There is probably more I will need to know, but that should be enough to
give you the general idea.  For anything else I need, I'll ask as it comes
up in my research for a replacement board.