-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Slipstreaming and cloning WAS: Re: Email Clients . . . 2 at once?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:30:53 -0400

Don,
    For my project, ALL of those 'collections' are immediately stripped
since I have to test each app & utility on their own merits (within the
sandbox, of course).  I already stripped out the two larger collections you
mentioned in your reply.

    I have found that a LOT of portable apps were created using a type of
packager (the compression scheme) that automatically gets them flagged as
possible malware by different AV programs because it's the same packager
used by many malware authors.  To get around this, I have to tell the AV to
ignore the file, temporarily disable the AV, upload the file to TotalVirus
and then check the results there to see what over 30 different AV engines
have to say.  In most cases, I'm finding that the flag is just the result of
suspicion based on the packager and is not based on any true malware threat.
In other words, the last two months of working on this project has taught me
a LOT about the origins of False Positives.  If my approach interests you,
download and install the TotalVirus Uploader utility.  It'll put a
VirusTotal entry in your Send To folder that you can use to test any file on
your hard drive.  Right click a file, go to SendTo > VirusTotal and the file
will upload.  Your browser will then open and show you the results.  If
you're testing a file that's been flagged by your own AV,  the AV must be
told to ignore the file and then disabled before the file can be sent to the
site for analysis.  Otherwise, the AV will have a lock on the file that will
prevent the upload.

    If you're looking for more PA sites, I will send them in as I come
across them.  I know of at least five such collections, but I don't hav
access to those links right now.  In the meantime, here's one that has a few
items that might be of interest.

http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/direct.htm

    Once I have my own collection selected and organized, I will begin
testing of the numerous utilities used to 'package' collections like this
(the reverse of stripping them).

Peace,
Gman