-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Slipstreaming and cloning WAS: Re: Email Clients . . . 2 at once?

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:36:32 -0400

See below

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gman" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 12:53 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Slipstreaming and cloning WAS: Re: Email
Clients . . . 2 at once?

> Don,
>    If you know where to look, there are literally thousands of
> things that
> can be added or slipstreamed into an installation.  There are also
> utilities
> that let you bring up menus so you can choose which of a set of apps
> you
> wish to employ on a given Win installation (WPI, for example).
> Nearly every
> viable tool for doing these things has a related forum and/or
> repository for
> many of the add-ons that can be used with them.  I will one day get
> around
> to searching through at least some of these for possible inclusion
> in my own
> project.  I know we've discussed some of these over the list before,
> so I'm
> not going into heavy details here.       lol

*****
www.winaddons.com

Over 1800 add-ons.  But there is no organization at all.  You have to
scroll through the entire list to see what is available.  The site is
only useful if you already know what you want.  :-((

I was kinda hoping for one or two suggestions for a "must have" to
avoid looking through all 1800 listings.

*****

>    I recall seeing something about slipstreaming Office into a
> Windows
> disk.  I'll send in a link if I come across it again.

*****
I found this thread with a couple links for Office 2003.   For me it
will be easier to just manually install it before I make the back up
clone.

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1374

*****

>    Test your creation in a VM before committing it to a blank.
> Chances are
> good that this advice will prevent you from creating at least a few
> coasters.

*****
Absolutely.  But just in case, I always use an RW disc so I can erase
and use over.  :-))

There are several approaches for maintaining your own copy of
> relevant Windows Updates so that you won't need to put your system
> online
> until after they have all been installed.  Again, I'm not up to that
> point
> in my own project, so I don't have enough details to provide here.

*****
OK.  I'll try a few searches and see what I can find.

*****

>    I have not used ATI's sandbox and probably never will since VPC
> does
> pretty much everything I need.  I will be testing out VMWare's
> offering
> eventually though, just to keep MS honest.     :O)

*****
When I get around to trying it I will report back here.  But for right
now VPC works well and time for testing new software is short.

Don

P. S.  Regarding portable apps.  I've downloaded the LupoPen Suite and
the PortableApps.Com Suite and will see what I like there.  I suspect
I will eventually strip the launchers and unwanted software off and
use a folder full of shortcuts to the apps I will actually use.

*****