-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Registry Mechanic and similar programs

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:57:54 -0500

Sandi,
    Just because I don't fully trust them, that doesn't make them bad.  I am
only relating my own experience with them here.  I'll also add that just
because one person has had a problem with a program, that doesn't mean that
the program is faulty.

    I have at least a few 'less than popular' apps running on my own system.
Although they are still installed and functional, reg cleaners will
typically flag a few of their entries as invalid and worthy of removal.  It
might be because they do not strictly adhere to how MS wants them
represented in the registry, but that situation applies to more apps than
these.  Reg cleaners are designed to look for things with MS's guides in
mind, so anything that doesn't adhere to the rules is declared invalid.

    Of course, most folks don't study registry entries to figure out what
belongs to what, so it's not always easy to recognize when a valid entry is
flagged for removal.  Still, that doesn't mean that these apps are
worthless.  They DO remove entries that can cause all sorts of problems if
they remain in there.  And, since you personally have no problems to report,
it seems that the use of Registry Mechanic works for you & your system.  If
the app should ever cause you a problem, it would most likely be in the form
of an app that no longer works as it should.  Just reinstall that program
and you'll be back in business.

    Perhaps I should better qualify why I don't suggest these apps to folks
over the internet.  If they work, I'm a hero for suggesting it.  If it
doesn't (and the above paragraphs only tell part of why they might not),
I've just become part of a possibly much bigger problem than the one they
were facing before I made the suggestion.  Troubleshooting a registry
problem usually dictates that the person doing the repair have the computer
right in front of them.  I don't have that luxury in an email group like
this, so repairing the 'repair' becomes very difficult (it happened once).
It's a different situation if we're talking about my own customers around
here.  I would be the one running the reg repair app (after backing up the
registry), so I'm right there to decide what's valid and what's not.  And,
if I make a judgment mistake, I'm right there to fix it before the customer
even gets back on the system.    :O)

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"