-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Rant about Sluggishness during file transfer.

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:06:06 -0400

I've never worked with RAID controllers, that is why I asked. So, I can't
give any recommendations on setting this up. If you're using the RAID
controllers cause its required for the extra space, then that's fine, but
someone else will need to jump in here to help out. But, if you only have
one drive, and you set it up on the regular IDE controller, than we need to
do a few checks there.

The "hiccups" you describe that slows your system could be coming from a
lot of things. For starters, I'd guess that the operating system either was
not reinstalled from scratch (as should have been since you went to an
outside source to fix the problem) or it was installed as a packaged OS,
meaning the guy at the shop decided to install the OS along with all the
other crap that we usually don't want installed on our system. When I buy a
new system with an OS on it, I almost always (99% of the time) format the
drive and reinstall from scratch myself, so that way I know what's on there.

The problem you said you were having installing the OS (where you said
after a boot up it would say its missing files) can usually be solved by
using the Windows setup floppies (6-floppy set). Most people start the
computer with the Windows CD, and it boots and starts the install process.
But, as I've had trouble in the future (very similar to what you described
with the missing files), using the setup floppies solves the problems. You
just start the computer with the 1st floppy in the drive and the Windows
setup CD in the drive, and you make sure it boots from the floppy. It'll go
through all 6 floppies and then will restart the system and start the
install process. That's something you can try as well. And, I would
definitely recommend installing the OS yourself. With Windows XP, its so
very easy, unlike the previous versions of Windows where you then have
problems with drivers. XP usually has working drivers for everything on
your system already.

Another thing you can do is run SpyBot and Ad-Aware on your system to see
if the guy at the store has anything there that could be running in the
background and slowing everything down. SpyBot is freeware and Ad-Aware has
both a free and pay version, with the free version being just as good. Both
can be found by typing into the Google search engine, but if you can't find
the main site tell me and I'll quickly do the search for you.

Don't feel too down with all this. We should be able to fix all this, and
on the brighter side you DID get a better CPU. Overall, after we fix this,
your system will run very nicely.

---Troth